At that time in Strašnice. An unknown old photograph of a village transformed into a city by a tram |

At that time in Strašnice. An unknown old photo of a settlement turned into a city by a tram. Photo credit: ČTK

Until relatively recently, it was a boring village with a strange name. Today Strašnice is a notable district of Prague, home to the first “co-operative” settlements of residential buildings and a quiet neighborhood led by the representative Tormal Villa, designed by Jan Kotera, an icon of modern Czech architecture. The villa development is impressive.

The first mention of Strašnice dates from 1185 to 1222 and belonged to the royal branch of Vysehrad. For centuries it was a purely rural setting. Fields spread, there was a farm, and over time he also had two fortresses. One of them became his target after firing a newly minted cannon test.

However, not only the ancient buildings were destroyed, but also Strašnice itself. After the great battle of the Seven Years’ War between Austria and Prussia on May 6, 1757 near Sterbohor, the village was devastated. It took a quarter of a century before people began to settle here again. And another few decades until they became a famous place for growing cabbage.

At the end of the 19th century, Strašnice had a population of just 650. However, this soon changed radically. After his first decade of the new century passed, a construction boom began to ripple through the old fields east of Prague. The village gradually acquired a post and telegraph office, a gendarmerie, a water station, and in 1912 public electric lighting was installed. Strašnice’s phenomenal growth is evidenced by the number of inhabitants, which in 1910 was about 4,000, and after a quarter of a century it has already reached 20,000. By the way, it’s about double today.

Especially when a tram was built here in the 1920s, Strašnice became a welcoming residential area for the middle class. At that time, the main city streets stretched into the village, and various colonies and housing estates were gradually created. Namely: Masaryk Colony (1920), Zborov (1920), Train Driver’s Colony (1922), Klinek Colony (1923), Rybnicki (1923), Skalka (1930s) or Solidarita (1940) The turn of the 1950s and 1950s) ) flight).

But this was a former settlement on the verge of complete extinction that was once part of the capital of Czechoslovakia. The merger with Prague he took place on 1 January 1922. It is interesting that a large Roman Catholic Church was not placed in Strašnice until after the fall of communism in 1994.

I have not yet thought about where the wonderful name Strašnice came from. However, we don’t know for sure. According to linguists, the name most likely derives from the name of the local mythical feudal lord Straschen. . And there is a completely factual version that the name came from the fact that there was once a guardhouse here. Anyway, even this uncertainty in a way shows the diversity of this Prague district.

#time #Strašnice #unknown #photograph #village #transformed #city #tram

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.